Built in 1847 Armley Gaol was originally designed by the architects Perkin and Backhouse, to house 334 prisoners. By 1857 the prison had been greatly enlarged and could accommodate almost four times this number. For almost a hundred years Armley Gaol was a place of execution and a total of 92 men and one woman have been put to death within its walls. The only public execution was held in 1864, and was attended by around 100,000 spectators, eager to see the demise of convicted murderers James Sargisson and John Myers. The final execution was held in 1961.