Armley House was originally built around 1781 by Thomas Woolrick, a local merchant. Then in 1804 Benjamin Gott, the great Leeds merchant, purchased the manor of Armley including Armley House. Between 1810 and 1822 he transformed the appearance of the house and its landscape.
Utilising the services of the architect Sir Robert Smirke (architect of the British Museum), Benjamin Gott had the house greatly enlarged with the inclusion of a central Ionic portico between flanking wings and rising from a broad podium. This represented the first use of Greek Revival architecture in West Yorkshire.
Armley House as seen from the east side
Return to the map Part 1 - Granary Wharf to Bramley Fall Woods, click the blue button
Return to the West Leeds Country Park and Green Gateways home page, click the green button