Leeds Corporation acquired the 24 acres of Armley Park for the people of Leeds in 1892, and opened the park to the public the following year. The dramatic flight of steps, which are reached by passing under a castellated archway, run down from the park to the canal and were built in 1893. Jubilee Fountain, which stands opposite the main Stanningley Road entrance, commemorated Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in 1897. This has since been designated as a Grade II listed structure, together with the gate piers at the main entrance and the War Memorial.
Jubilee Fountain against a backdrop of flowering cherries
An interesting feature within the park is the plaque with relief carving depicting a winged angel. It dates from the late nineteenth century and is manufactured from glazed terracotta, possibly from the Burmantofts potteries. The ornament is Grade II listed and there are two of these located in the park. The other ornament which is not depicted has a relief border of fruits and birds.
The war memorial, a gentle reminder of the sacrifices made by the people of Armley during the two great wars
An interesting piece of terracotta artwork which adds to the appeal of Armley Park
Return to the map Part 5 -
Return to the West Leeds Country Park and Green Gateways home page, click the green button