Although Bankhouse was originally known as Ulversthorpe, this fell out of use some 500 years ago, to be replaced in the eighteenth century by Lane End. When Moravian colonists arrived in the area in the 1740’s, it was at Bankhouse that they first settled.
Bankhouse in the early 1900's
Another group of very old houses called Lower Bankhouse is located further down the valley from Bankhouse. This terrace, originally built in the 1840s to provide accomodation for the workers at Bankhouse Mill, has survived the changing times and commands a superb view across the valley towards Tong House
The car park for the Bankhouse Public House now covers the site of the former Bankhouse
Return to the map Part 4 - Woodhall Lake to Cockersdale, click the blue button
Return to the West Leeds Country Park and Green Gateways home page, click the green button