Burley Goit was built in 1799 to provide water power for Burley Mills, which was also built in the same year for Benjamin Gott, a woollen manufacturer. However with the demise of the woollen industry in Leeds and the subsequent change in use of Burley Mills, the requirement for water power ceased. Unfortunately this situation led to the Goit becoming silted up and overgrown with vegetation. It was not until the 1990's that funds where found to re-instate the goit as a historical feature and wildlife refuge.
Burley Goit with accompanying goitside path
Riverside view point with the Burley Mills dam in the bottom left hand corner of the picture
Return to the map Part 1 - Granary Wharf to Bramley Fall Woods, click the blue button
Return to the West Leeds Country Park and Green Gateways home page, click the green button