The name Calverley is of Anglo Saxon origin. A ley was a clearing in a woodland, and is widespread in this part of West Yorkshire (e.g. Farnley, Bramley and Armley). In this case it translates to ‘a clearing in a woodland grazed by calves.’ This would suggest woodland has existed here since at least the 7th Century, but there is also documentary evidence to prove that within these woodlands, trees were being felled for timber as early as 1336.
Along Clara Drive can be seen the foundations of various buildings connected with the WW2 POW camp and later with Guy's Fireworks (Ferncliffe Works).
Large sections of Calverley Woods still show the scars of old quarry workings for sandstone
Return to the map Part 3 - Apperley Bridge to Woodhall Lake, click the blue button
Return to the West Leeds Country Park and Green Gateways home page, click the green button