1913 map showing the extent of the railway lines through Leeds and the key stations serving the city
View of Leeds City Station taken from Granary Wharf and clearly showing the structure sat on the viaduct which was built in the 1860's .
In 1846 the first station was opened on this site by the North Midland Railway and was called Wellington Station. Initially all the lines terminated directly behind the Queens Hotel, however this arrangement became unworkable due to the high volume of traffic and the need to have a more efficient and faster service connecting the major cities and towns. To resolve these problems, the North Eastern Railway Company in partnership with the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) created an immense viaduct in 1866-
In 1938 a rationalisation was required with the New Station being merged with Wellington Station to create the Leeds City Station. The station was rebuilt in 1967 and then had another overhaul in 2002.
Return to the map Part 1 -
Return to the West Leeds Country Park and Green Gateways home page, click the green button