Gibraltar Mill, which stood in the valley bottom below the hamlet of Gibraltar, or Delph End, was originally built in 1801 by Joseph Thackrah and Thomas Fairfax Carlisle. This was Pudsey’s only second steam powered wool scribblingand fulling mill, and, up until the mid nineteenth century,was the largest mill in Pudsey. Whilst the cobbled packhorse track, which led down to the mill from the Wildgrove estate, remains intact and accessible, the mill was finally pulled down in the 1930's.
The site of the former Gibraltar Mill and formally used by a company specialising in marble and granite with another still involved in horse management
The cobbled packhorse track leading up to the Wildgrove Estate from the former Gibralter Mill site
Even the gate posts to the former Gibraltar Mill retain their function but with some new additions
Return to the map Part 4 - Woodhall Lake to Cockersdale, click the blue button
Return to the West Leeds Country Park and Green Gateways home page, click the green button