Kirkstall Viaduct or the Leeds and Thirsk Railway Viaduct is considered one of the finest pieces of railway architecture in the area.
Built in 1846 to the designs of Thomas Grainger, the viaduct consists of a succession of arches crossing the valley and the busy Kirkstall Road.
The section of the viaduct that crosses the canal includes attractive rusticated voussoirs and niches in the flanking abutments and piers.
Section of Kirkstall Viaduct crossing Kirkstall Road
The evident voussoirs and nich in the abutment and pier of the viaduct section crossing the canal
Return to the map Part 1 - Granary Wharf to Bramley Fall Woods, click the blue button
Return to the West Leeds Country Park and Green Gateways home page, click the green button