Lancasterian School Room

The ancient hamlet of Upper Moor Side is home to the Lancasterian School Room, which was founded in 1813 by Joseph Lancaster, a London Quaker. He adopted the monitorial method of schooling where one master taught a group of older pupils, or monitors, who in turn taught the younger children. The building is currently maintained and run by a board of Trustees for use by the local community.

Lancasterian School Room as seen from across Moor Side Lane

Return to the map Part 5 - Cockersdale to Armley and Wortley, click the blue button

Return to the West Leeds Country Park and Green Gateways home page, click the green button

West Leeds Country Park Part 5 - Cockersdale to Armley and Wortley