Leeds Industrial Museum
There has been corn and fulling mills on this site from at least 1559. It is reckoned that the largest fulling mill of its day was constructed here in 1788 by Thomas Lloyd, a Leeds Merchant. Benjamin Gott purchased the facility in 1804, but only had it a few months before it was destroyed by fire. Despite the setback Benjamin Gott rebuilt the mill using the most modern fire safety precautions of the day that entailed vaulted masonry floors supported on cast iron beams. The present mill dates from 1804-
Today the mill has been converted into the Leeds Industrial Museum with galleries illustrating the local textile, engineering, tanning and printing trades. Besides working waterwheels, the museum also has a 1920's cinema, beam engines, cranes and locomotives.
The main mill building of the Leeds Industrial Museum as seen from the north
Return to the map Part 1 -
Return to the West Leeds Country Park and Green Gateways home page, click the green button