Leeds Liverpool Canal

The 127 mile long Leeds and Liverpool Canal is the longest single canal in Great Britain. To link the river Aire with the Mersey on the west side on the country the canal climbs 148 metres to traverse the Pennines. Although initially surveyed by John Longbottom of Halifax, the actual construction followed a better route designed by James Brindley and Robert Whitworth. Work started in 1770 when the Company was floated by Act of Parliament and reached completion in 1816, 46 years later. The whole venture cost in the order  of £1,200,000, nearly five times the original estimate.

The canal basin by the Leeds and Liverpool Canal Warehouse represents the eastern end of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal.

Return to the map Part 1 - Granary Wharf to Bramley Fall Woods, click the blue button

Return to the West Leeds Country Park and Green Gateways home page, click the green button

West Leeds Country Park Part 1 - Granary Wharf to Bramley Fall Woods