Visible on the opposite side of the canal is Lodge Wood. Kirkstall Forge, which was founded in the 13th Century by the Cistercian Monks from Kirkstall Abbey, used wood from Lodge Wood in the manufacture of charcoal, which was then used to heat the metal at the Forge so it could be worked on.
The last known date when wood was felled from this woodland for charcoal making was in 1706, when £450 worth of wood was sold to the forge.
The view across the Aire valley towards Lodge Wood from Wellroyd Wood
Lodge Wood ahead as seen from the Leeds Liverpool Canal towpath
Return to the map Part 2 - Newlay canal bridge to Apperley Bridge, click the blue button
Return to the West Leeds Country Park and Green Gateways home page, click the green button