The first commercial quarrying venture in Calverley Woods was undertaken in the early 1830’s by John Whinn, a Cornishman resident in Apperley Bridge. The resulting high quality gritstone was either transported from site by barges, which were loaded at a specially constructed wharf on the adjacent canal, or was hauled up the steep incline through the woods on carts, using a purpose built flagged causeway, and used locally. Parts of the causeway still remain, and in some stretches, grooves made by the cart wheels can still be seen. The last quarry owner was Thomas Clough and Sons, who ceased quarrying in 1905. However, between 1955 and 1960 stone was again taken for use in road construction.
Within Calverley Woods hidden by trees and partially covered by ground vegetation lies the quarry
Return to the map Part 3 -
Return to the West Leeds Country Park and Green Gateways home page, click the green button