The octagonal spire of St Bartholomew’s Church forms one of the most recognisable features on the West Leeds skyline. The footprint of the original chapel, built in 1650, is still visible in the churchyard, but in 1873 work started on a larger church which was consecrated in 1881. The spire, a later addition, was completed in 1903 at a cost of £3,000 which was paid for by the congregation. Inside the church is one of the finest examples of a Schultz organ in England.
St. Bartholomew's Church as seen from Cabbage Hill. The commanding structure provides a sense of continuity in the changing city landscape
Looking north from Wortley Cemetery towards St Bartholomew's Church
The imposing structure of the church as seen from the west side
Return to the map Part 5 - Cockersdale to Armley and Wortley, click the blue button
Return to the West Leeds Country Park and Green Gateways home page, click the green button