The present St John’s Church,which was completed in 1898, replaced a smaller Anglican chapel, built in 1813. It occupies land donated by John Smyth, Lord of the Manor of Wortley, and was the second piece of land he had donated for the building of a chapel. The first, having been completed in the 1780s, was the object of such disagreement between the congregation, the Vicar of Leeds and Smyth himself over the appointment of a clergyman, that the chapel was eventually shut down and leased to the Congregationalists.
The east and north side of St John's Church as seen from Dixon Lane
Lime trees line the sides of the footpath running through the cemetery adjacent to St. John's Church
Return to the map Part 5 - Cockersdale to Armley and Wortley, click the blue button
Return to the West Leeds Country Park and Green Gateways home page, click the green button